CENS Publications | Taiwan Industry Updates | My CENS | Inquiry Cart | 繁體 简体

facebook twitter plurk

3D TV Shipments to Reach 4.2 M. Units in 2010: iSuppli

2010/06/01
Taipei, June 1, 2010 (CENS)--Worldwide shipments of three-dimension (3D) TVs are expected to reach 4.2 million units in 2010, thanks to increasing traction and acceptance from enthusiastic early adopters, according to iSuppli Corp.

The major technology value-chain research and advisory company also forecast that global 3D TV shipments would then triple to 12.9 million units in 2011 and then more than double to 27.4 million units in 2012. In 2015, 3D TV shipments would reach 78.1 million units, rising at a vigorous Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 80.2% from 2010.

Among U.S. consumers who purchased a new TV in the first quarter of 2010, iSuppli said, 4% indicated they were acquiring one that was 3D capable, with 60% buying a 3D LCD-TV and the remaining 40% preferring a 3D plasma set, iSuppli data show. As of April, 26 TV models featured 3D capability, compared to 23 of the previous month.

The majority of 3D TV sales in 2010 would occur in the mature TV regions of the United States, Japan, and Western Europe, where sizable markets exist for upgrading or replacing older, non-3D sets, the research firm said. Other countries that have rolled out 3D trials include South Korea and Australia.

Despite such an apparent strong showing, 3D TVs occupy only a small portion of the overall TV market. Shipments of all types of LCD TVs are expected to hit 170 million this year, while shipments of LED-backlit sets would reach only 26 million globally in 2010, iSuppli said.

"Although robust growth of 3-D television sales appears to be assured during the next few years, mass consumer acceptance will not come until three critical issues are resolved concerning standardization, content availability and interoperability of the 3D glasses used to view the sets, said Riddhi Patel, principal analyst for television systems at iSuppli.

Worldwide 3D TV Shipment Forecast, 2010-2015

(Millions of Units)

2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015
Total (Millions of Units) 4.2 12.9 27.4 43.5 60.5 78.1
Source: iSuppli Corp. May 2010

(by Quincy Liang)
 
FAQ | Biz Partners | Site Map | Contact Us | Copyright
 ©1995-2006 Copyright China Economic News Service All Rights Reserved.